Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mount Rushmore

Yesterday, Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 .... did you hear a giant Yeee-Haaa?  Each of us screamed those words into the wind when we saw Mount Rushmore! Truly it was as amazing as I had pictured it in my mind. Seeing this Monument has been on my bucket list ~~  A few days ago when we were deciding which direction to head, Derek was the first to say, "Hey, since we are this close, let's go."  (my heart melted a little bit because I knew that he knew it was on "my list" )

While exploring Mount Rushmore....We had freezing temps. We had sunshine & bright blue skies. We had stormy grey clouds. Snow.  Wind.   Sunshine, blue sky, AND white puffy clouds at the same time. We had all of these different  weather moments while there, all  of which bring a different perspective and lighting and personality to the faces high above. Sort of breathtaking.

Sometimes you wait a really long time to do /see something that you think is going to be so amazing.  And then it's not.  This was NOT one of those times.  It was another over-the-top inspirational moment.  It was.  Thank you to my family for driving a couple more days, and weathering freezing temps, so I could have my "bucket-list" moment. I know you each loved it too......... but Mount Rushmore was even more dazzling for me because I knew you each were giving me a gift.  Thank you  with hugs and kisses.





So obvious why he was picked to be on Mount Rushmore.  
Warming by the fireplace in the dining room.


Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Lincoln watched us while we ate lunch.



God bless America......

In the shadows.

Freezing....but ohsohappy

Oh wow.  We all said that. Oh WOW.

THANK YOU!!!!!! A kazillion times over ;-)


Just to wrap this up for today........Today, we are sitting in  a rocking Maxine doing odds and ends.  And I think Maxine is shrinking because we are feeling the walls closing in a bit.  The winds are whippin' at about 50 miles per hour, and the temps are in the 30's.(not including windchill in this equation). So we are staying put  and not hitting the road again until the winds pass.  The computer tells us that AZ has really warm temps.  That sounds good. Plan A is, head south :-).


PS A couple more Mount Rushmore thoughts ~~



"...an Idea as Bold, Brilliant, Beautiful ,
and as Fragile As a Rainbow in the Western sky."
Gutzon Borglumm,, sculptor, Nov, 1930

"No other man has ever had the perspective to carve such gigantic figures and make them look natural to the human eye from any spot below.  Several times I climbed into the basket and rode up the cable to the mountaintop and inspected the carvings.... The closeup view is disappointing.

You cannot see the face of Lincoln when you stand on his lower eyelid; you cannot see Washington while walking back and forth on his lower lip. It takes a genius to figure out the proper perspective so that the carvings will look right from the point from which the human eye beholds them.  Gutzon Borglum was that genius."  William J. Bulow

I pondered these words...... thinking about life, and the perfectly loving genius who is our God.




1 comment: