Wednesday, September 5, 2012

We are in Montgomery, New York, at a county park ...Winding Hills Park. It is gorgeous and green with huge oaks, and a lovely lake...The pups and Jack loved taking a dip after we arrived.

The drive here (about 5 hrs) was amazingly dazzling, lush, green, bright blue sky with white puffy clouds (Honestly I did not know NY Yankee country could be so dog-gone beautiful... ha ha)

Around 1:00ish we stopped at a wide spot in the road to stretch our legs, do jumping jacks, eat lunch, let the doggies chase tennis balls, etc. It was here I heard my favorite quote of the day...
Kai popped her head out the door, looked up at the sky and yelled, "Are we in California?!!!!"   umm, not yet sweetie

Our campsite is great, and we are just about the only ones here. Except for the falling acorns, it is pretty quiet and oh-so- peaceful. Falling is a mild term, they are more like plummeting hail pellets.  I don't know if they are really falling, or if crazed squirrels are hurling them at us.  Kai got bonked on her arm big time..... Papa told her that he was gonna climb the tree to get Merle the Squirrel, no one throws acorns at his Kai!!!  Bad squirrel.

Abby is going to share more on the day .....and in writing about our IncredibleJourneyTails.  I love to read her writing,  hear her heart, and her perspective.  I just love her to pieces ....and her sweet sweet family.  How blessed we are to share this journey together. Totally.

Signing off for now~~


Diane
Bailey enjoying the ride
Jack checkin' out the puddle he just stepped in!

beautiful blue sky

Abby's Thoughts


2 days ago I said goodbye to my best friend.  Had I known it would hurt this much to leave a place I’ve known for the last 11 years, I think I would have bagged this whole ‘great’ idea a few months ago!  To leave familiar is not easy.  To miss all that you love hurts.  Although, 11 years ago I never thought I would be saying this.  Time has a way of opening your heart.  God has a way of taking time and making cherished moments.  And those moments are what my heart is full of right now.  Thank you Friends.  Thank you Family.  Thank you Moments.  You have been engraved forever on my heart.  Through sobs of good-byes, my dear friend told me, “You have to go.  You have to go to find out why it is you are meant to be there.”  So here I am.  On the journey.  I’m on my way. 

So…..TODAY….Welcome to New York State!  We drove a few hours, stopped for lunch and a few jumping jacks.  Ended our day in a beautiful campground off of interstate 84.  We are 1 of 2 campers in Winding Hills campground.  We had our pick of campsites!  What a beautiful place to unwind from the last week of packing & moving 2 households.  My brain still cannot compute what just took place.  So tonight I sit.  I sit quietly.  Kai & Jack in their bunks.  I decompress.  This is perfect place to enjoy the now. Crystal clear blue sky peaks through the tall trees that stand above us with their green, lacey leaves offering a canopy of cover.  The air is mild.  Just comfy enough for jeans and a long sleeve—my fav!  And there’s nothing like the smell of campfire. The crickets are chirping, fire flickering, acorns dropping from the trees (look out!) This was our today.

I am not where I once was, nor am I where I am going.  I am here.  I am now.  I am in the moment.  Why is this so weird?  May I borrow some good advice from our four-legged, tail-wagging friends?  (Paraphrased from Blind Hope) “In matters of life, dogs just get it. They know how to maximize the moment.  Ten minutes ago is already in the past, so why think about the future when right now is so much fun?! Their exuberance for life shows me how to really enjoy the rich and simple pleasures found within each moment of my days.” Bailey and Chester totally live in the moment. Wahoo, we’re camping by the lake, let’s go swimming!  Holy schnikies, the motor home on the move.  Oh Boy, there’s a ball, let’s go catch it!  It’s the simple moments in life that can escape all too quickly if I don’t live now. 
 Here we are.  On the journey.  “Are we in California?!” Kai say’s excitedly.  We are here today. And that is all I need to enjoy.  Yesterday will live in my heart.  Today is for now.  And tomorrow will come (hopefully with a good cup of coffee for the morning!)  

Good night today.  Good night dear friend.

3 comments:

  1. Abby, whether you realize it or not, you are teaching others how to live life by your posting. We do get caught up in the past and try to plan our future but all we have is right now so let's enjoy it! You've touched many people while you were here and you and your family are very much loved. I look forward to hearing/reading more of your daily adventures.

    With love,
    Melissa Good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears in my eyes and a big sigh as I read these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, I love your heart and the way you express it. You said it perfectly....sigh. I love sharing this journey of life with you.

    ReplyDelete